Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Coast 2 Coast - Day 16 - Ft. Hancock to Van Horn

We began our day early, with a sunrise above the Ft. Hancock High School football field (the Ft. Hancock Mustangs have won the Texas State 6 man football championship 8 of the last 9 years):



We moseyed down the Rio Grande for awhile, before heading for I-10 and the nearby mountains.

Here's the Rio Grande valley, with the Texas mountains on the left and the Mexican mountains in the distance on the right:



Here's Anne, climbing on the service road beside I-10:



And here's Anne, wondering where the pass is among all those mountains (good news, there was one):



After climbing to the pass, we were able to cruise along beside I-10 on a relatively flat plateau. But there wasn't much in the way of civilization out here, so we all stopped at the only restaurant for miles - Delfina's, for some good Mexican food:



We are eating our way across the USA.

After another 20 miles, we had a SAG stop, on our service road, and then got back onto I-10 to finish the ride into Van Horn:


Along the way, we crossed into the Central Time Zone:



Overall, it was a 75 mile day, with little wind (Yeah!), at an average speed of 11.6 mph, and a maximum of 29 mph.

There were no flats (for the second day in a row), and no Texas dogs chasing us, either.

Tomorrow we are off to Marfa.

No comments:

Post a Comment